RICOH THETA SC2 for BusinessNews
TOKYO, February 5, 2020
A 360-degree spherical images camera with easy-to-use preset modes for shooting in business environments and an exclusive business service pack
RICOH COMPANY, LTD. and RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S. are pleased to announce the RICOH THETA SC2 for Business. The SC2 for Business is the entry level model to the RICOH THETA 360° camera series designed for business use and capable of capturing 360° still images and video footage.
Since its release in 2013 as the world's first*1 360° camera, “RICOH THETA” has been used in a multitude of environments and offers unlimited potential for image expression. Due to the rapid growth of the Virtual Reality market, the increasing number of social media services that are compatible with 360° images, and the growing demand for 360° images in the business market, 360° photography has become increasingly relevant.
The grey body colour of the new RICOH THETA SC2 for Business is especially designed for this new business model. The SC2 for Business has a preset “Room” mode with HDR settings suitable for shooting indoors or inside a car, which is the default mode when you turn on the camera*2. There is also a self-timer function which enables time-shift between shooting with the front and rear lens. These functions make this model fit for use in businesses such as real estate and automobile sales, where pictures are often taken indoors or inside cars.
The RICOH THETA SC2 for Business snaps photos at approximately 14 megapixels with smooth, immersive 360°spherical video at 30 fps (frames per second) in 4K (3840 × 1920 pixels). In addition, the OLED (Organic EL display) in the lower section of the body allows at-a-glance checking of a range of information such as setting modes and remaining battery power. It also features a new button that lets the users switch to self-timer mode, making the camera easier to operate in a standalone manner.
The RICOH THETA SC2 for Business will be available in Europe*3 with a dedicated Business Service Pack which includes a standard 36 month warranty (from date of purchase) for damage repairs and a THETA Lens Cap TL-1.
*1: For consumer products, the camera can capture the entire space surround the photographer, not just in a half-sphere or horizontal direction, in a single shot (according to Ricoh research made in October 2013)
*2: This model is not equipped with THETA presets Face, Night View, and Lens to Lens Exposure.
*3: The service is scheduled to be available in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, The Netherlands and United Kingdom from February 2020 – other countries may be added
Main features of the new RICOH THETA SC2 for Business
- Capable of capturing high-quality, high resolution 360° spherical still images and video footage A bright wide-aperture F2.0 large-diameter compact twin lens folded optics system and the latest image sensor delivers detailed 360° spherical images at an output resolution of approximately 14 megapixels. Exposure accuracy and white balance algorithms have been completely revamped from previous RICOH THETA SC models, and offers accurate, natural expression when shooting in Auto mode. Furthermore, an improved image sensor and image processing engine now allows shooting high-resolution 4K (3,840 x 1920 pixels) video at 30fps (frames per second) for up to three minutes, equivalent to high-end cameras.
- Functions fit for business use Preset “Room” mode which is the default setting when turning on the camera, is suitable for indoor shooting where there is gap in brightness between outdoors and indoors. Also, the self-timer function enables time shift between shooting with the front lens and rear lens making it possible for the photographer not to be captured in the image.
- Easy-to-understand user interface on the camera body The lower area of the camera body is equipped with an OLED status display that displays icons indicating the setting mode, smartphone connection state, remaining battery power, and other useful information. A self-timer button makes operation more convenient when shooting with the camera in a standalone configuration.
- Dual communication and high-speed data transfer using Bluetooth® and wireless LAN The RICOH THETA SC2 for Business can be connected to a smartphone via Bluetooth® and improvements to ease of use have also been made. Smartphones can now be used for shooting with just a Bluetooth® connection. With a wireless LAN connection, all functions can be used including live view display and image transfer on a smartphone, which can be used separately as appropriate to the shooting circumstances.
- The process has been changed such that the “top/bottom” correction is performed when videos are played back instead of when data is transferred, making the video transfer rate approximately 4x faster*4 than the previous Ricoh Theta SC model.
*4: Actual measured value compared with RICOH THETA SC when transferring identical amounts of data to iOS devices. According to Ricoh research.